Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 7 (Part 4) – From Kylesku to Ullapool, Ardvreck Castle and Calda House

9 April 2010

Leaving Kylesku, we took the A894 southwards. Compared to driving on the single track B-roads, we made good progress on the wider A-roads.

The above photo shows the A894 road that we took from Kylesku.


There were impressive views of mountains along the A894, on way to Ardvreck Castle from Kylesku.


It took just 20 minutes from the Kylesku Bridge to arrive at Ardvreck Castle.  Unlike most English or Scottish castles which are located high up on some hill or craig, the relatively small castle is located on a little peninsula and surrounded by water on 3 sides, for easy defending against the enemies.

sign describing the history of the castle

There was a sign describing the history of the castle. It was the 15th century seat of the Macleods of Assynt. The sign said that many ghosts haunted this place. The weeping daughter of a Maccleod chief is said to be seen crying near the beach of Loch Assynt where she drowned. Also a man in grey suit can be seen in the castle at times. I was the only person in the family who read the sign and I did not tell the rest about the hauntings. Else that may be the end of our visit to the castle.

A short hike on a path through the grassy fields is required from the car park to get to the ruins of the castle. At this time of day, we were the only folks there, not counting the ghosts.

Ardvreck Castle, Scotland

Walking to the ruins of the Ardvreck Castle with nice views of the loch and Sutherland mountains.


Ardvreck Castle, Scotland

Skimming stones on the beach near Ardvreck Castle.



The white spot near the stone wall in the above picture was a carcass of a dead sheep.


On the way to the castle, we spotted the carcass of a sheep by the stone wall that guarded the access to the peninsula. All that was left of the sheep were some wool, skin and some bones. I took a photo of it but I  thought I better not post the disgusting picture.

Ruin of the castle. This was supposed to be a 3 storey building, plus basement.


Exploring the castle but not too close as there were risks of falling stones from the crumbling building.


Beach of Loch Assynt. Said to be haunted!


View of the grassy plains, loch and Sutherland mountains on the way back to the car. The ruin of Calda House could be seen. Calda House was built in 1726 by the Mackenzies who had seized Ardvreck from the MacLeods in 1672.


We definitely wanted to leave this place before darkness falls. Time was 5 PM when we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.