Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Back to the Hilltop at Ao Nang

14 August 2022

When visiting places like Krabi which faces the Western coast, a dinner with views of the setting sun would be one of the highlights. The Hilltop Ao Nang restaurant is located on the top of hill in Ao Nang, offering dining with probably the best views of the Krabi sunset.

We had dined at this restaurant in one of our previous trip to Krabi and my wife wanted my son who is visiting Krabi for the first time to experience the Hilltop Ao Nang.  

We made reservations and also arrange for free shuttle pickup in advance at their website. We planned to arrive at least 30 minutes before sunset to enjoy the fantastic views from the restaurant. Travel to the restaurant was by songthaew (covered pickup trucks used as taxis in Thailand) and we were picked up promptly from our hotel in Ao Nang.

The weather was good so the restaurant set up tables for alfresco dining. We were the early birds.

After ordering our drinks, we went to shoot some photos. The panoramic views from the restaurant were quite nice. 

There is a new feature for visitors, especially couples, to enjoy  – beanbags on the net.

View of the Ao Nang country side and Dragon Crest Mountain (with a sharp pointy tip) in the background.

Although we were still quite full from our late lunch, the restaurant manager insisted that we ordered our food sooner than later. 

 We ordered our favourite Thai dishes instead of grilled or BBQ seafood.

Gaeng Poo Bai Chaploo - Southern Curry with Crab Meat and Local Herbs. This was the curry dish recommended by the restaurant manager. This very spicy dish was quite interesting to eat. Soak the rice noodles in the thick curry loaded with favourful herbs and sweet crab meat before eating. Thai version of the laksa, perhaps. 

  Deep fried squid in salt and pepper. 

Duck The Hilltop Style - Deep fried duck breast served with tangy orange sauce. My favourite dish on this day. 

 Stir fried mixed vegetables. 

The classic Thai pineapple fried rice with prawns, cashew nuts and pork floss. 

With the gorgeous views of the sea and the ambience, the prices charged were higher compared to the other local restaurants in Ao Nang.  Thankfully the food was good. I think it was worth it to spurge a little for the experience while visiting a foreign country.

      

      

We enjoyed the light show in the sky at dusk while we dined.

While eating, I asked one of the staff about the live band that played during our last visit. I was informed that since the Covid-19 travel restriction, the live band was no longer performing at the restaurant. Maybe, the live band performance would resume when business picks up in the future.

No live music, but the experience of quiet dining under the stars after the sun set was quite nice.

Would I be back at the Hilltop again?

No, if I were to travel to Ao Nang again by myself.

Yes, if I am travelling with friends who are visiting Ao Nang, Krabi for the first time and I wanted to introduce them to a place with nice food, gorgeous views and stunning red sun sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.