Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Visit to Meiji Shrine in Tokyo

6 April 2015

Meiji Shrine is located within Yoyogi Park. The Meiji Shrine is a shrine dedicated to the deified spirits of Emperor Meiji (first emperor of modern Japan) and his consort, Empress Shoken. The entrance to the park is next to the Harajuku Station. As in most entrances to Japanese shrines, there is a huge wooden torii gate at the park entrance.

We had to walk quite a distance on a gravel pathway through a forested area to get to the shrine. Along the path, we passed huge barrels of sake on the right side of the path and wine barrels on the other.  The sake barrels are donated  by Meiji Jingu Nationwide Sake Brewers Association and the wine barrels seemed to have come all the way from France.

 Yoyogi ParkSake barrels on the right side of the path towards the shrine.


Wine barrels seemed to have come all the way from France, on the left side of the path.



Purification Fountain.



Another torii gate at entrance to the shrine complex.


Spacious courtyard area inside the complex.

 20150406_155333Looking out from one of the side gates.


Details of one the lamps in the corridor surrounding the complex.


Worshippers paying respect.


Worshippers writing their wishes on ema tablets (wooden wishing plaques) and then hanging it on the board round a divine tree.



Overall we spent slightly over an hour walking through Yoyogi Park and visiting the Meiji Shrine itself.

 

 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.