Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Morning Cruise on Lake Windermere at the Lake District


26 December 2012

Our Christmas program at Waterhead Hotel included a complimentary lake cruise from Ambleside to Bowness-on-Windermere and back.  So the plan on Boxing Day was to take the morning cruise after breakfast and drive down to Wast Water in the afternoon.

 Part of our brunch on Boxing Day at Waterhead Hotel – Egg Benedict.


We took the 10 AM boat from Ambleside pier and there was not many people out this early on Boxing Day. We had almost the whole boat to ourselves.

Lake Windermere cruiseTop deck of the sightseeing boat. Not many takers in the cold December morning.


We decided to stay warm in the cabin below rather than brave the cold wind in the moving boat.

Lake Windermere cruise

The cruise to Bowness-on-Windermere took about 30 minutes. Bowness-on-Windermere is a busier town compared to Ambleside. I actually chose to stay at Ambleside as I prefer the peace and serenity of Ambleside.   

Lake Windermere at the Lake DistrictPier at Bowness-on-Windermere. No more vacancy for the next gull.


Lake Windermere at the Lake DistrictBusy, busy Bowness-on-Windermere promenade. Not just plenty of birds and fowls but people too.


We lingered around the pier at Bowness-on-Windermere, just long enough to catch the next boat back to Ambleside at 11 AM.

Bus loads of tourists descended upon Windermere pier as this is a popular place to embark on a lake cruise. We needed to queue to get onto a boat back to Ambleside. It was fully loaded by the time our turn came. We were left with the seats on the top deck but we are well prepared for the cold journey back. In fact, it was quite fun to feel the cold air on our faces as we headed back towards Ambleside.

Lake Windermere at the Lake DistrictGetting ready to brave the cold wind on the top deck of the boat.


Lake Windermere at the Lake DistrictCottages on the shore of Lake Windermere.


Lake Windermere at the Lake DistrictBoat houses on the shores of Lake Windermere.


Lake Windermere at the Lake DistrictOur hotel at Ambleside as viewed from the boat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.