Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

A drive through Cotswold Town of Painswick


28 December 2012

After a nice full English breakfast at the Bridge House B&B, we left Cheltenham, we took the slow but scenic route on the A46 road to Painswick. Like most Cotswold towns, Painswick grew on the wool trade, but it is now best known for its parish church's yew trees and the local Rococo Garden.

I parked the car on a parking space by the A46. The traffic is light and we took a walk through the town.

The above photo shows the old post office in Painswick. It is the only example of a timber (oak) frame building to survive in Painswick. Dated back to early 15th Century.


West Haven House – oldest building in England to have housed a post office.


Walking through the town of Painswick. The name of the road is called New Street. Wonder how that name came about.


The A46 became a narrow street as it passes through Painswick.


We did not see the Rococco Garden but St Mary’s church was easy to find as it was just along the main street.

View of St Mary’s Parish Church from the road.


St. Mary's church is famed for its 99 yew trees which were planted around 1792. It is said that every time a hundredth tree is planted it dies. Hence, only 99 trees.

Rows of yew trees said to be about 200 years old.


Rows of Yew trees forming a tunnel.


Spire was not added until 1632.


 Clock on the spire at St Mary's Church, Painswick.


After this short stopover, we continued our road trip down A46, through Shroud, and then via the B4040 and B4039 to another Cotswold town, Castle Combe, just north of Bath. The scenic drive took less than an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.