Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 6 (Part 2) – Pass of Killiecrankie and Soldier’s Leap

8 April 2010

After leaving Pitlochry Dam and Power Station, we backtracked back to Pitlochry town and continued northwards along the A924 and then B8019 to the Pass of Killiecrankie and made a stop to view a place called the Soldier’s Leap. This mountain pass is a natural corridor that links the Scottish Highlands and Lowlands. This is the site of Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689.

Pass of Killiecrankie, Scottish Highlands, ScotlandPath leading to the Soldier’s Leap Viewpoint.


Small waterfall seen along the walk.


River Garry flows at the bottom of the Killiecrankie Pass, with the roadway above.


River Garry with what looks like a railway viaduct.


Walking through the woods towards Soldier’s Leap.


Soldier’s Leap – story behind the place.


Pass of Killiecrankie, Scottish Highlands, scotlandRiver Garry where a soldier is said to have leap across from the rocks here, in order to escape from pursuing enemy that would otherwise take his life. Not an easy feat but when it is a life or death situation, he may have found additional strength and courage.


Looking at Soldier’s Leap and wondering how he did it, i.e. jumped 5.5 meters across this river.



Overall, the Pass of Killiecrankie is a good place to stop and take a walk through the woods and see some historical sights during a road trip. It is also a good place for some bird watching in the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.