Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Taiwan Day 5 (Part 3) – Shihtiping


17 December 2011

“Shih-ti” is translated as “stone steps or stairs” in Chinese and there used to be giant stone steps between the rocky coast and the mountain, now covered up by developments. The coast itself is an attraction on its own merits. It was formed by volcanic activities long long ago.

It was still drizzling when we arrived at Shitiping. Mr Lim drove us along a small access coastal road leading to the visitor center where he explained the name behind the place.

Shihtiping, TaiwanPicture at Visitor Center showing the giant stones steps that gives Shihtiping its name.


We were surprised when Mr Lim went to the taxi and fetch us some umbrella and started to lead us into the rain, towards the rocky coast. I had thought that we would wait for the rain to stop before venturing out to the coast. Apparently, he knew better. A moment later, the sky cleared and we were able to explore the beautiful rocky coast without worrying about the weather.

We followed Mr Lim up a slope which brought us lead to a high point on this part of the coast. The rocks was thankfully not slippery despite being wet. Hurrah for lava rocks!

Shihtiping, TaiwanClimbing up lava rocks to a vantage point at Shihtiping.


Shihtiping, TaiwanVantage point at Shihtiping where we could see the waves crashing on the rocks below.


Shihtiping, Taiwan

Shihtiping, TaiwanShihtiping rocky coast.


Shihtiping, TaiwanShihtiping lava rock.


The rock patterns on the ground was quite fascinating. Caused by erosion on the lava rocks.

Shihtiping, Taiwan

Shihtiping, Taiwan

Shihtiping, TaiwanPanorama of the rocky coast where we had just explored.  


We then drove back down the access road to where many tour buses were parked. This part of Shihtiping was crowded with tourists!

There are small potholes here, probably due to volcanic activities in the past. The waves and wind was quite strong so we had to stay clear of the edges.

 Mother nature created this.


Some guys went really close to the water edge, just for a photo.  The waves were quite strong and it is foolhardy to go too close to the edge.

 Too close to waves at Shihtiping. Dangerous!

Overall, I enjoyed my visit to Shihtiping for its dramatic coastline, beautiful natural scenery, lava rocks formation and photo opportunities. A place not to miss while travelling along the eastern coast of Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.