Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Taiwan Day 5 (Part 2) – No. 18 Bridge and Baqi Viewing Platform


17 December 2011

From Henan Temple, we continued on Highway 11 heading South. We made a stop at a small bridge, known as the No. 18 Bridge, that spans a small gorge below. There is a story behind the gorge below.

On No 18 Bridge.


The gorge below is called the Forest of Braves. Whoever that can vault across the gorge using a bamboo staff would be the next chief of the local tribe. According to legend, many tried and failed; and the bamboo that they used were stuck in the valley below, grew roots and grown to form bamboo clumps. 

The width of the gorge is 45 meters and it is 70 meters deep.  Crazy! Should be called Forest of Fools. Maybe the gorge was much narrower back in the old days.

Legend of Forest of Braves at No 18 Bridge.


View of the gorge at Forest of Braves from the No. 18 Bridge.


 Photo of Eurelia Reeds against the Coastal Mountain in the back.


A short distance away, we made a stop at a rest-point (called the Baqi Viewing Platform) for nice views of the Coastal Mountain and ocean.

Baqi Viewing Platform.

P1030992View of East Coast and Coastal Mountain Range.


Then it was off to a small coastal fishing town for a seafood lunch. It was drizzling slightly, so it was best time to stop for a meal.

The sashimi in Taiwan came in large chunks and thickly sliced!

IMG_0914

The restaurant owner recommended us to try the whitish roe of some sea creature or fish (photo above) that she said is a local delicacy and only available in winter. So we went for it.

The boys liked the sashimi, buttered crab, steamed prawns, fish and fish soup. But, not this roe dish. So I had more than my fair share of it.

By the time we finished our lunch, it was still drizzling. Hopefully it would stop by the time we get to Shihtiping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.