Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Longshan Temple and HuaXi Street

12 January 2016

The Longshan Temple is worth a visit when in Taipei and I believe the best time to go is at night, as it is beautifully lit. It is easy accessible by MRT and we went there after a visit to Beitou.

I was amazed that it is still packed with people (both worshippers, tourists or both), even at night. This place is a photographers’ delight but have to be careful not to be intrusive to worshippers who actually don’t mind the tourists.


The above shows the entrance to the temple with intricate roof design.


 Courtyard inside the temple.


 Inner temple.


 Making a small donation to the temple with the help of a temple staff.


 Incense smoke engulfing a worshipper.


 Red lantern in contrast to the detailed and exquisite carvings on the ceiling and columns behind the lantern.



We walked around, watching the worshippers, taking in some incensed smoke and also burnt some incense ourselves and made a donation. I was actually amused when I overhead a western-looking person (likely a tourist guide) explaining the history and highlights of the temple, plus temple procedures to a Chinese couple.  He knew more about Chinese culture than me.


IMG_0774

 Garden area outside the Longshan Temple in Taipei.


The Huaxi Street Night Market is outside the temple. Huaxi Street is known for the shops selling snake meat. Interesting street to explore and we spotted a large albino white (more like yellow) python in a glass tank. I wondered if it is for sale or it is a pet.

No, we did not eat any snake. Like most night market, there is plenty of stalls selling street food that we tried.


20160112_182534Grilled Pork Sausages – one of our favourite street food.


20160112_191012

Hua Xi Street Night Market.


It was quite fun to explore the night market. Until the rain came down, much to the disappointment of us and also the stall holders. Fortunately, there was a section that was sheltered. 

We then took the train to Ximending since there is more covered walkways there compared to Hua Xi Night Market. Ximending was worth a visit, just to eat our favourite Ah Zhong Rice Noodle before ending the day.

 Ah Zhong Rice Noodle at Ximending - A Must-Eat dish when in Taipei.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.