Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

The White Moss Walk to Lake Grasmere and Christmas lunch at the Waterhead Hotel, Ambleside at Lake District.


25 December 2012

After our morning walk at Borrans Park, we went back to our hotel to take our car and drove a few miles towards Grasmere.

The short and easy White Moss Walk starts from the car park off the main A591 road between Ambleside and Grasmere and leads to shore of Lake Grasmere. The weather was just perfect for a morning walk and also perfect for photographers.

White Moss Walk at the Lake District England.


White Moss Walk at the Lake District EnglandOn the White Moss Walk trail to Lake Grasmere.


Lake District EnglandMoss on the tree along the White Moss trail. The moss was definitely not white.


After a easy short walk through the wooded area, we reached a gate in a stone wall at the back edge of the wood. River Rothay is the background. Going through the gates, we were in Penny Rock Woods

River Rothay is the background.


Up and down Penny Rock Woods and crossing a small bridge, we arrived at the shores of Lake Grasmere.

Lake District EnglandFirst look at Lake Grasmere and out comes the camera phones.


Weir where water from the lake drains down into the River Roythay that we saw along the trail.


Low clouds drifting slowly on top of the lake adds to the charming view of the lake in winter.

 Grasmere from hillPanorama of Lake Grasmere.


DSC_1652

IMG_6529This was how far up I went to shoot the panorama of Lake Grasmere. The actual White Moss Walk trail will lead walkers up to the top. I bet the view will be fantastic but I am in no shape to get up further.



A footpath continues round the lake but we had a Christmas lunch lined up back at our hotel (Waterhead Hotel) at 12:45 PM. So we did not have time to go completely round the lake. Instead, the boys spent some time playing with the water…crazy idea to see who can put their hands into the icy cold water and keep it in there longer.

Feeling the icy cold waters of the lake.


After the walk, we returned to Ambleside to relax by the pier while waiting for the Waterhead Hotel to serve the traditional traditional six course Christmas Day lunch.  

IMG_6639Party hats and more Christmas crackers. Quite fun to see some of the older local folks clowning around with their plastic Christmas rattles, balloons and whistles during breakfast. All in good fun and high spirits.


20121225_131343



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.