Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Lunch at Yuiga Doxon in Furano

23 August 2023

 

I had specifically chosen Yuiga Doxon in Furano for our lunch. The signature food of Furano is omukare (omelette, rice and curry) and this particular restaurant is reputed to use 29 spices to make their curry and also makes their own smoked sausages.

We walked to Yuiga Doxon from Furano Marche and arrived a few minutes before 11 AM, their opening time. This place is so popular that a short queue had already formed. It will get longer later.

Rustic cottage set amongst trees surrounded by more modern concrete low-rise buildings.

Once opened, we were seated immediately.  We sat upstairs, on the balcony of the wooden house with views of the surrounding greenery and the car park below. This was a great place to be seated as the restaurant does not seem to have air-conditioning and it was a hot summer day.

It was good that we parked our car at Furano Marche and walked to the restaurant. There were some parking spaces in front and behind the restaurant and they were almost all taken up.

View from the terrace. Small car park in front of the restaurant.

    

The menu offered curry rice with various combinations of the key elements such as omelette, stewed ox tongue, homemade sausages and bacon.

The gents ordered 2 plates of omukare with ox tongue and homemade sausages. My wife ordered the omukare with sausage and added the homemade bacon.

Omukare with ox tongue and homemade sausages

Omukare with sausage and homemade bacon.

Unlike the soup curry we had for dinner on arrival, the curry sauce on the curry rice is thick. The dark colour of the curry holds lots of flavour from the reputed 29 different spices used. The staff told us we could get free additional curry sauce if we go to the counter and say the magic phrase of the day.

The omelette was so fluffy and yet smooth on the outside. I wonder how the chef managed to cook the omelette this way.
The taste of the sausage was nicely balanced with sweet, sour and saltiness. The homemade bacon was thick cut and tasted more sweet than salty. The ox tongue was our favourite element in the dish. It was “melt in your mouth” soft and full of beef flavour.

Drinks menu at Yuiga Doxon.

The restaurant also served craft beer but we give the alcoholic drinks a miss since we were on a road trip.

Overall, our meal at Yuiga Doxon was a hit. If you're in Furano or Hokkaido you absolutely MUST come to this place for a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.