Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Back to Manjanggul Cave

8 November 2022

The first geological marvel we visited while touring the eastern part of Jeju Island was the Manjanggul Cave.

Manjanggul Cave is actually part of a large lava tube system that was formed thousands of years ago from volcanic eruptions and lava flow. There are over a hundred such lava tubes in Jeju and Manjanggul Cave is one of the largest with a total length of over 7.4 km. 

This was my second visit to Manjanggul Cave. My first visit was in 2011. Nevertheless, I hope to learn and experience something new with this visit. Entrance fee was 4000 KWR per person, double of what I paid 11 years ago.

After over 10 years and despite doubling the entrance fees, most things about Manjanggul Cave did not change. Only 1 km of the lava tube (shown in red in the picture below) is open to visitors. 

There are 3 entrances to the lava tube that is opened to visitors.

Manjanggul Cave is partially multi-layered.

The first entrance is visible but the section of lava tube is not open to visitors. Visitors entered through the second entrance. The 3rd entrance is not accessible to visitors as well.       

This is the stairs leading down to the entrance of the cave.

The first entrance is next to the second entrance. A little mist could be seen hanging over the mouth of the lava tube at the first entrance.

First impression of Manjanggul Cave.

For first time visitors, entry into the lava cave must have invoked a feeling of awe. I felt that way on my first visit.

The cave is dark, with just enough lights for visitors to view the features and walk around safely on the rough and uneven lava floor. I have no problem with the darkness once my eyes got used to it. I actually loved it this way. Too much lighting inside would have spoilt the overall experience.

I was impressed by the coolness, the surprisingly fresh air inside, the damp but rough floor and how large the lava tube was. The main tunnel’s width is 18 m and its height is 23 m. We were saying it is probably large enough to put a subway train system inside.

I could remember some features of the lava tube from my first visit. The shark tooth lava stalactites from ceiling, the lava flow lines at the sides of the lava tube and the lava rafts, including one that is shaped like Jeju Island itself. 

Shark tooth lava stalactites from ceiling.

There were some characteristics of the lava tube that I missed on my first visit. This time, I took time to learn about the lava toes, lava flowstones dripping from the side walls and the lava shelves.

I even spotted an unusual sight. Moss growing in the dark cave.

Actually the moss was thriving under the light shining from beneath a bench placed inside the cave for visitors to take a rest.

We walked down the tunnel slowly as the lava floor is uneven. There are sections of boardwalks over the rougher parts, such as the area with lava toes.

The highlight of Manjanggul Cave is a 7.6 m tall lava column, seen after a 1 km trek.

The lava column is the most brightly lit feature inside the cave and it marks the furthest point that visitors can go. We took a slow walk back to the entrance from there.

Overall we spent about 1.5 hour at this attraction, including the walk from the car park to the cave’s entrance, exploring the caves, stopping for photos and a toilet break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.