Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Best Hida Beef Yakiniku at the Ajikura Tengoku in Takayama


Just like Kobe is famous for their Kobe beef, Takayama is famous for their Hida beef. “Hida-gyu” (Hida Beef) is the specific name given to beef from a black-haired Japanese cattle breed, that has been raised in Gifu Prefecture for at least 14 months. Hida-gyu is required to have been confirmed and certified as Yield Score of Grade A or B by the Hida Beef Brand Promotion Conference, and have a Firmness and Texture Grade of 5, 4 or 3 as graded by the Japan Meat Grading Association.

One of the best restaurant to enjoy Hida-gyu is the Ajikura Tengoku which serves it Yakiniku style. This restaurant is conveniently located very close to the Takayama train station. As you exit from the train station and bus station, turn right and follow the main road for about 250 meters. The restaurant is on the right side (no need to cross the road).

The menu is extensive with many grades and cuts of beef to choose from as well as Korean dishes.

This 2-person set for 8000 Yen, with A5 grade Hida Beef of various cuts.


The evenly spread fat marbling in the meat prevents the juice and aroma from escaping when the meat is cooked and maintains the tenderness of the meat.

 20160530_192632Hida Beef is best eaten Yakinuki style or Teppanyaki style. Eat the best beef when it is hot to get the “melt in your mouth” full flavour beef experience.


Hida Beef Yakiniku at the Ajikura Tengoku in TakayamaWe also ordered hot spicy Korean style beef soup and kimchi to share

 Hida Beef Yakiniku at the Ajikura Tengoku in TakayamaAssorted kimchi as a side dish. The kimchi is excellent.


This was the most value-for-money Hida Beef dinner we found in Japan. A complete dinner as shown above at 12,000 Yen for two persons, including beer.  And it was the best Japanese beef we had during our Japan Spring 2016 trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.