Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Morning in Magome, Nakasendo post-town

25 May 2016 

Woke up slightly after 4 AM in the Tajimaya Ryokan, where we stayed in Magome. It could be the brightening sky or the birds chirping outside the window that woke me up earlier than usual. I could not get back to sleep anymore and just laid on the futon, placed on the tatami mat floor, and listened to the birds and sound of gurgling water flowing through the drain outside.


 The view from my room at Tajimaya Ryokan.

 

These nesting house swifts are a common sight in Magome and other Japanese houses in the Kiso Valley.

 

The ryokan serves breakfast at 7.30 AM.  We had planned to do a morning walk and photo shoot before that. It was drizzling slightly earlier on but the sky soon cleared as we left Tajimaya.

We walked in the direction of the bus stop that we came from yesterday. I wanted to see the beautiful landscape of paddy fields again.

 

Magome in the morning.


Magome in the morning The “light that burns all night” and the waterwheel near the entrance to the Magome Town.

 

Outside Magome along the Nakasendo TrailBeautiful red leaves in Spring!


The path that led to the padi fields also heads towards Ochiai, another post town along the old Nakasendo Highway.  We met some school children on their way to school. They greeted us with a cheerful “Ohayƍ gozaimasu” as they walked pass. What politeness. 


Outside Magome along the Nakasendo Trail

Outside Magome along the Nakasendo TrailNewly planted Japonica rice. May is the season of rice planting. 


20160525_071601

Outside Magome along the Nakasendo Trail

Outside Magome along the Nakasendo TrailSpring flowers a plenty.

 

 Heading back to ryokan for breakfast.

 

  Tajimaya serves the morning breakfast in the common room.


 Japanese breakfast with some Western-style items.  A filling meal of rice, miso soup, pickles, grilled fish, seaweed, tofu, eye roll, ham, green salad, mashed potatos, small piece of sausage. Green tea and coffee!

 

 Magome along the Nakasendo TrailOld drawing of Tajimaya on the wall. It looks pretty much the same today.


20160525_081838Relaxing the room after breakfast before doing the Magome to Tsumago walk later.

 

IMG_1168Wild flowers.


 Koi pond at the upper end of Magome town, near the start of the 7.8km Nakasendo Trail to Tsumago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.