Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 10 (Part 1) – Sligachan, Elgol and the Cuillins at the Isle of Skye

12 April 2010

This was our second day in Isle of Skye. The plan for the day was to go to the seaside town of Elgol, located on the South-Western part of Isle of Skye and taking a boat trip out to sea to see the wildlife, visit Loch Coruisk and Cuillins mountains. There are a couple of operators to choose from, each offering something different. We decided on the Bella Jane boat-trips.

Enroute to Elgol, we passed by a couple of Isle of Skye landmarks. One of which is the Sligachan Bridge at Sligachan. This is a good place to view Glen Sligachan and the Cuillins mountains.

Sligachan Bridge with Black Cullings Mountains forming the backdrop.


Glen Sligachan and the Cuillins Mountains, Isle of Skye.


Exploring the river and rocks. It was so tempting to try crossing the stream without getting the feet wet.


Managed to get to the middle.


Gave up and heading back to shore.


Leaving Sligachan, we continued southwards on the A87 till Broadford. Then we took a smaller B8083 road westwards towards the small village of Elgol. There were many nice views of the Scottish mountains en-route but we did not make any stops as we had a boat to catch!

Finally, the village of Elgol.

Elgol is a small crofting and fishing village. Sparsely populated.

Elgol Beach with the Cuillins mountains in the background – can you see the kids on the rocks?


Closer shot of those kids perched on top of the rock.


Primary school in Elgoh. For only 20 students.


Primary school in Elgoh.  Nice view of Cuillin mountains and Loch Scavaig from the playground. I wonder what the kids learnt in school here?


We decided to take the Bella Jane’s AquaXplore boat trip instead of the more leisurely boat trip to Loch Coruisk.

After booking our trip, we had some time to kill. So we had tea at this shop till it was time to depart on our adventure.

Tea shop at Elgol, Isle of Skye.


Finally, it was time to get suited up in splash/wind protection clothing. A sign of the adventure that was coming.

Suited up and ready to go. We looked like fireman, right?


More about our AquaXplore boat trip in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.