Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 5 (Part 5) – Queen’s View and Pitlochry

7 April 2010

Leaving Aberfeldy, we continued along A827 till it joins up with the A9 leading to Pitlochry. We went to see the Queen’s View first before checking into the B&B at Pitlochry. Queen’s View is located about 6.5 miles(10.5 km) west of Pitlochry. This look-out point is called Queen's View, named after Queen Isabella, wife of Robert the Bruce who rules Scotland between 1306 and 1329. But it was made famous by Queen Victoria who came to see this view in 1866.

Access to Queen’s View is via B8019 with access west from the A9. This road is narrow, winding and leads up-hill towards our destination though thick woods. Because of the thick woods, the road was darker than it was supposed to be at 5.30 PM. There were few cars travelling on B8019 at this time of day, in fact, I think we were the only car heading up this road. Nevertheless, we pressed on and soon enough, we found ourselves in the deserted car park next to the Queen’s View Visitor Centre.  To get to the viewing point from the car park, a short hike was required.

View of Loch Tummel. This look-out point is called Queen's View named after Queen Isabella, wife of Robert the Bruce who rules Scotland between 1306 and 1329. But made famous by Queen Victoria who came to see this view in 1866. Scotland, Scottish HighlandsView of Loch Tummel. This look-out point is called Queen's View.


Queen-Size caterpillar at Queen’s View.


This would be a good place for me to photograph the sunset but it would mean driving down B8019 in the dark which was not something I fancied doing. It was slightly passed 6 PM when we left the car-park. We took advantage of the remaining light to get down safely to the A9. Pitlochry is located along the A924, off the A9.

Our B&B is The Well House, near the town centre within Pitlochry.  The host Mary Leaman were happy and relieved to see us as it was rather late when we arrived. The B&B provides free off-road parking at the rear so we left the car there and walked to the town centre for dinner after check-in. There was a Champions League game between Manchester United and Bayern Munich scheduled on TV that night. So, we chose a restaurant that has a TV showing the live game. We were not disappointed. We found a pub showing the game. It was a good game and a good ending to a very enjoyable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.