Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 4 (Part 2) – Walking down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh

6 April 2010

After visiting the Edinburgh Castle in the morning and taken our lunch near Castlehill, it was time to walk down the stretch of cobbled street leading from Edinburgh Castle to the Holyrood Palace. This road is called the Royal Mile and is the heart of Scotland's historic capital. Holyrood Palace is the Queen's official residence in Scotland. Despite being crammed with tourists, this is one of Europe's best sightseeing walks.

Walking down the Royal Mile in EdinburghWe even get to see an invisible man.


Walking down the Royal Mile in EdinburghStriking red door of the St. Columba's Free Church.


St Giles Cathedral with the steeple that looks like a king’s crown.


Walking down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh

St. Giles' serves as a kind of Scottish Westminster Abbey.


Walking down the Royal Mile in EdinburghDecorative figure of a stag surrounding the statue of the Duke of Buccleuch, outside St Giles Cathedral.


Walking down the Royal Mile in EdinburghView of Scott Monument through n alleyway along Royal Mile.


Walking down the Royal Mile in EdinburghStatue of Alexander the Great taming his horse Bucephalus, outside the City Chambers.


Walking down the Royal Mile in Edinburgh

Unicorn at the top of the Mercat Cross. "Mercat” is a Scottish pronunciation of “Market”. A central meeting place where Royal proclamations and other official announcements were read.


Along the way, we made a detour to look for the statue of a dog called the Greyfriars Bobby and also made a short visit to the nearby National Museum of Scotland before it closed for the day. Dinner was at an Indian restaurant along the Royal Mile.  It was good to have Asian food again.

Then it was back to the apartment to watch Lionel Messi do his magic against Arsenal in the Champions League game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.