Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 2 (Part 5) – Inside the York Minster

4 April 2010 

The York Minster is one of the must-see attraction when visiting the beautiful city of York, England. It is beautiful on the outside and also on the inside. The highlights of this building were the stained glass windows.

High in the gable of the South Transept in York Minster is the Rose Window which is one of the best known stained glass windows in England. The red and white roses commemorate the union of the Houses of York and Lancaster. The sunflower at the centre was painted by William Peckitt in the 18th Century.

The Rose Window at York Minster.



The Rose Windows – circular stained glass at top.


Details of the stained glass panels at bottom of Rose Windows.


Interior of York MinsterThe High Altar and the Great East Window of York Minster.


The Great East Window, which is the size of a tennis court, is the single largest expanse of medieval stained glass in the country.


The choir (quire) screen separates the transept and nave areas. 15 nearly-life-size statues of the Kings of England from William I to Henry VI are guarding entrance to the choir.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.