Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

England-Scotland Day 1 (Part 1) – Heathrow to Bath

3 April 2010

It was a long flight of about 14 hours by Qantas QF9 from Singapore to Heathrow Airport, London. We left Singapore Changi Airport at 11 PM the night before and by the time we cleared the immigration at Heathrow it was just before dawn. England was cold in April, and coming from warm, humid Singapore, it was certainly a drastic change. So, out came the warm clothes and jackets from our luggage before we stepped out of the arrival hall to take the courtesy shuttle bus to the car rental office.

There are 4 adults in my group and we had 4 pieces of luggage, 2 big and 2 smaller ones. As we would be travelling long distances in our self-drive tour of England and Scotland for the next 3 weeks, a decent-sized car was needed. I had booked a car with automatic transmission from the car rental company’s online booking website.

The car rental office was quiet at this time of day. Only one other travelling group was with us. I showed the lady at the front desk my reservations. After some checking, she asked me if it was Ok if I take a car with manual transmission as they are out of autos for that category. Manual transmission… no way. Next, she offered me a car with automatic transmission that belonged to a higher car category but I had to top up the difference. This company was testing their luck and my patience. Although I was tired after the long flight, it was time to be calm and assertive. I told her I needed a car with automatic transmission, just like the one I had booked on the web site AND I will not be paying any extras. She went back to her PC and did more clicking. I waited. In the end, she told me she managed to get me a car with automatic transmission without me having to top up any money.

After all the paperwork was done, I was given the car keys and directions to find the car in the parking lot outside. It was drizzling slightly as I went to fetch the car, while the rest of the family waited at the lobby. What I got was a latest model Mercedes E-class, diesel powered, barely 2 weeks old.  No additional charges. Not bad.

The plan for today was to go see the Stonehenge, Avebury Stone Circle and then go via the Cotswolds to Stratford Upon Avon where we would be staying for the night. But before going to Stonehenge, we would swing over to the city of Bath, just in time for breakfast.

The first challenge was to get out of the small roads around Heathrow and get onto the M4 motorway towards Bath. After a few U-turns, I managed to get my bearings and get the car onto the M4. Once done, the journey to Bath was smooth going and we got our first glimpse of the English countryside and weather! 

I explored the electronic cruise control in the new E-class and it did its work. The sky was brighter now and so was our moods. The sense of excitement was beginning to kick in. It was drizzling slightly but the drizzle stopped as we drove into the city of Bath.

 City of Bath in early morning. The red Burger King restaurant sticks out like a sore thumb.


Parking at the public car park in Bath required coins! And I don’t have any.

All my cash were in 50 pounds Sterling notes. “Never mind, let’s go to the restaurant where we would be eating our breakfast and get some change there”.

No luck.

The owner did not have enough change for a 50 pound note that early in the day. While the family ordered their breakfast, I went out to solve my problem. All these while, my car was parked at the nearby car park and running the risk of a parking violation and fine.

I tried a Tesco store nearby, no luck. The checkout girl just said “no change” to me with a straight poker face. Finally, I decided to head back to the car park and see if I could get lucky there.

Third time lucky! A kind English gentleman was paying for his parking and he had just enough coins and small notes to change for my 50. Thank you sir!

Big lesson for me and any visitors driving in England: You need coins, and lots of it, for the parking meters at public car parks.

After our first English breakfast of fried eggs, sausages, bacon, fries and a stack of toast, we walked to the town centre.


City of Bath in EnglandTypical English signpost in the Bath town square.


The streets were beginning to liven up with people. The ladies went to shop for a wind-proof jacket for Jo as her cotton hoodie was not keeping her warm enough.  The guys wandered around the town centre and took some pictures.

City of Bath in EnglandBath got its name from The Roman Baths. Now a museum.


Bath Abbey.


 Close-up of the tower in front of the Bath Abbey. Most figures seemed to be climbing up, while one faces down. Wonder what this was all about.


 Pigeon with what looks like the St Mark's Lion. I thought I saw this at Venice before.

At Bath Town Center. Joanna with her new wind-proof jacket.


Bath is certainly a place I would like to visit again and probably stay over for a night or two. 

Next stop, the Stonehenge. Stonehenge is less than an hour away from Bath by car and easy to find via the A36.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.