Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Tea at Bourton-On-the-Waters, the Venice of the Cotswold

22 December 2012

On the way to Stratford Upon Avon from Oxford, we drove through the eastern part of the Cotswold and one of the better place to stop for a break was at Bourton-On-the-Waters, the “Venice of the Cotswold”.

It gets its nickname from the several stone bridges across the River Windrush that runs through the town. The High Street is flanked by greenery and trees on both sides of the river and has many tea shops and shops that attracted many visitors.

Bourton-on-Water, the Venice of the Cotswold, with many low arched stone bridges across the Windrush River.


Bourton-on-WaterOne of the stone bridge across the Windrush. This one carries vehicular traffic leading into the village.


Last remaining signs of autumn.


Bourton has a number of tourist attractions that we could possibly spent some time and money on, such as the model village and the motor car museum. I was considering whether to go see the model village which is a 1:9 scale replica of the village but instead we just spent time exploring the village on foot before settling into one of the tea rooms (called the Chestnut) for afternoon tea.

20121222_134640Inside the Chestnut, a tea room along the High Street. Beautiful decor with Xmas theme and we were fortunate to get a table next to the window.


20121222_141026Interesting teapot and decor on the window sill.


This house is almost on the river. Like those in Venice.


This village is ideal for photography and walks by the river.

What a name for a Inn.


There are many interesting shops along the High Street and ideal place to shop for some unique Christmas gifts to take home, except for the high price tags.

Bourton-on-the-Water, CotswoldChecking out the Model Railway exhibition. Toys for Boys!


The Model Railway exhibition is worth a visit. Entrance was FOC, so we popped in for a look before heading northwards to our next stop – the village of Lower Slaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.