Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Cruise on the Han River in Seoul

28 September 2011

A cruise on the Han River on a September morning. This was not something I would normally include into my itinerary for a visit to Seoul. But since it was an organised company event, I might as well make the most out of it. A couple of buses took the group from our hotel to the bank of the Han River where we were to board the boat for the river cruise. The cruise normally operates later in the day, but since this was an organised company event, the operator made a separate run for us.

Upon disembarking from the buses near the Yeouido ferry point, one building stood out from the rest and immediately captured our attention and literally outshone all other buildings.  It was the golden 63 Building, glittering in the morning sun.

There was some time before we were to board the ferry, so I wandered along the river bank went to the closest bridge to the ferry point.

This highway bridge has interesting motifs painted on the concrete supporting structure. The bank of the Han River is a well developed Hangang Simin Park used by residents for cycling, jogging, picnics and fishing.

Soon, we are herded up the ferry to start our cruise. There was commentary on board, inside the cabin, but it was not very interesting. So I made my way to the open deck at the back of the boat to enjoy the cool weather and chatted with a guy who was also from the IT industry, so we had a lot of things in common to talk about……plus taking some photos of the many bridges that we would pass under.

The boat went up the river for quite a distance, made a U-turn and came back down the river, passed the embarkation point, up to the red arch Seogangdaegyo bridge before returning to the jetty.

Railway Bridge on the Han River Cruise.

Nothing really much to see except bridges…more bridges, buildings on the shore, more bridges, one or two boats and many paddle boats in the form of swans.

May be better to do such cruise at night when the buildings and bridges are lit.

Seogangdaegyo Bridge on the Han River.


I was informed that all the drinking water in Seoul came from this river. So, its use is regulated by the authorities.

Patrol boat on th Han River.


Paddle boats in the form of swans (below). Those of you who had watch the K-drama “Lie to Me” would have recognised these boats were featured in one of the episodes.

Paddle boats in form of blue ducks on the Hangang River. Featured in Korean Drama Lie to Me starring Yoon Eun HyePaddle boats in form of blue ducks on the Hangang River.


 End of cruise. Ferry Terminal at Yeouido for Han River Cruise.

Overall duration of the cruise was about one hour.

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.