Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Taiwan Day 8 (Part 2) – Shifen

20 December 2011

On the way to Shifen and Ping Xi, Mr Xi explained that Ping Xi is the town where about 20,000 thousand Taiwanese and tourists would gather once a year to celebrate the Lantern Festival. Sky lanterns would be released from the town and also in Shifen, along its railway tracks.

We stopped in Shifen and walked to the railway tracks where there were shops selling sky lanterns.

Shifen Railway.


The lanterns came in many colours, each colour symbolising different aspects. Combinations of colours were also available. We purchased two. Purple for the students and a multi-coloured one for the family. Wishes or messages to be sent to the heavens were written using brushes and black ink and with our names written below. If you didn’t know what to write or wish for, there were samples provided on a card.

It took us quite a while to finish writing on the 2 lanterns.

Then it was time to launch the lanterns, under guidance from the vendor.

Lighting the Sky Lantern at Shifen.


The vendor also helped to take photos of us posing with our lantern with written wishes on each side. Then we released it and it shot up skywards.

Then we launched the second lantern.


Once done with our lanterns, we walked around the rustic, small town.

DSC_9655Railway track at Shifen.


Shifen town is centred around the railway station. There is a waterfall in Shifen but we decided to skip it and head straight to Juifen for lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.