Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Taiwan Day 5 (Part 4) – Sansiantai


17 December 2011.

From Shihtiping, we continued south along the coastal highway 11 towards Sansiantai. Situated at the 111-kilometer mark on the coastal highway, Sanxiantai consists of a headland facing a small island in the sea. The island's most prominent feature are three huge rocks. Local legends claimed that three of China's Eight Immortals once landed there. This gave rise to the name of the island, which means "terrace of the three immortals." 

DSC_9290

An eight arch foot bridge that looked like a dragon now connects the island to the mainland. This scenic place is a good place to visit when exploring the east coast of Taiwan.

While travelling to Sansiantai, Mr Lim suddenly pulled over and stopped by the roadside. He wanted to show us what these 2 elderly woman from the indigenous Amis tribe were doing.

They were collecting something that looked like algae or some kind of fungus from the wet ground. Mr Lim told us these are found only during the wet season and is a food consumed by these people.

This looked like algae on the wet ground.

 Is this edible?


We reached Sansiantai slightly before 4 PM. Sansiantai  is an island with three large rocks. Previously, the only access to the island was during low tide. Now an eight-arch bridge connects the island to the mainland. Access to the bridge is either via the beach or via a concrete footpath.

Sansiantai beach


We walked to the bridge via the footpath and return via the beach.

The Sansiantai Bridge did looked like a dragon.

 Strong winds on Sansiantai bridge.


The wind was especially strong on the arch bridge. We went almost to the end of the bridge and decided to turn back after taking some photos of the coast and rocks below.

It was quite challenging to take long exposure shots of the waves crashing on the rocks below the bridge. Need to keep the camera still for a few seconds, using just whatever support I could get from the structure of the bridge and with the strong wind blowing against me.

Took this shot while walking back via the beach.


Leaving Sansiantai, we headed back towards Hualien. There were still a couple of places to visit on our way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.