Links to My Vacation Journals and Destinations

Looking for something in this blog?

Taiwan Day 4 (Part 4) – Taroko’s Suspension Bridge and Cimu Bridge


16 December 2011

After lunch, we continued our journey through Taroko Gorge. We made a stop at a suspension bridge.


I saw this tree with interesting exposed roots next to our parked taxi on the way to the bridge.


Scenes of Indiana Jones movie came to mind as we went onto the bridge.

DSC_8908

The railings are a bit low for a tall person. Once on the bridge, one can get a nice view of a small waterfall and the Liwu river flowing below with its characteristic hugh marble borders.


From there, we visited a more famous bridge, the Cimu Bridge (translated as Motherly Devotion Bridge) which was built by late President Chiang Kai-shek, in memory of his mother. This is one of the several bridges along this highway built by the same team.

us at Cimu Bridge with frog princePicture of us with the stone lions of Cimu bridge and the “frog prince”. 


The rock supporting the bridge looks like a frog. The frog-like rock is composed of black layer of rock at the top and white marble (now stained with brown leaching soil) below. A pavilion was built on this frog rock, becoming the “crown” on the frog. Hence the “frog prince”.


The towering cliffs about the narrow gorge and swift running river below was quite a sight. Unfortunately, the water of the river was grey cement-colour, due to the debris and dirt from recent rockfalls and rain.


We continued on our journey through the narrow mountain road towards the Yanzihkou (Swallow Grotto) which was one of the highlights of Taroko Gorge.

Taroko Gorge highway cut through rocks with dramatic overhanging cliffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to igoiseeishoot!

Thanks for visiting the igoiseeishoot blog. If you are visiting for the first time, you may want to start here.

This blog is where I share the places I have been to (I go), my experiences at these places, people I met, food I tried and things that fascinated me (I see) and memories of my travels and vacations with lots of photos (I shoot).

I hope you will enjoy reading the posts or find something useful in this blog.

I would love to hear your thoughts or feedback by email (igoiseeishoot@gmail.com) or dropping some lines into the comment boxes of the posts.

Stay connected with me on instagram.